Thursday, August 2, 2012

How's your foundation?

My parents took their 5 kids and spouses, and  7 grandchildren on a vacation of a life time.  It was an awesome, memory making, laughing our butts off 6 days!  I love coming from a big family, and love having siblings that are truly my best friends.

The reason for our trip was bitter sweet.  We were able to go because Nana's address was changed permanently to a golden Heaven PO box, and the inheritance that she left was divided between her 3 children.

My grandfather was a USPS letter carrier.  He walked faithfully in the hot Florida sun for 20+ years.  But more than that, He walked in the Son for even longer.  My grandparents lived a very frugal, simple life.  My grandmother stayed home with her children, never got her drivers license, but left a legacy that most only read about.

My grandfather never made more than $30,000 a year, but set my grandmother up to be taken care of with dignity until Jesus called her home 15 years after Papa went.  She was never a burden to any of her children because of the careful planning and simple living they did for years.

In her death, she gave her children and grandchildren an inheritance that allowed us to make amazing memories.

When I grieve, I tend to pour myself into something- may not be the best coping mechanism, but its just me, I guess.

I started cutting up Nana's clothes to make a quilt.  It was something that we could have forever.  In 8 days, I completed 3 of them.  One for my dad, and one for my aunt and uncle.  I smiled and with every stitch thought of all the times she had worn those shirts, dresses and pants.   I am forever changed by Grace Werner.

At the end of our vacation, my mom and dad gave the grandchildren a bear they had made out of one of Nana's shirts.  "Nana bears!"

Since we left I haven't stopped thinking about a simple truth.    At the end of your life, what will be given away?

At the end of Nana's life, there was 19 people gathered in a room, with one foundation.  Nana and Papa's desire was that the foundation of the Werner family be built on Jesus Christ.  The Werner girls have different last names now, but the foundation remains the same.

With all the events of this world, its quite clear that a lot of people do not hold true to that foundation.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

How is your foundation?  If it's cracked, fix it.  Quickly.  If it's strong, its likely you need to thank a generation or two ahead of you.

Nana's great grandchildren
Thanks Nana and Papa, Dad and Mom for an amazing week.  I can't stop smiling!

1 comment:

  1. Your family inspires me. I love the idea of thinking of life in terms of what my legacy will be. How will people remember me? Will people see Jesus' love through my actions? Something to strongly consider with every choice I make. Thank you for being a friend I strive to be like. I see nothing but love and devotion to Christ in your daily life. You and your family have touched more lives for Christ than you may ever know. I'm certainly inspired by your legacy, and it's only just begun.

    ReplyDelete