Friday, April 1, 2011

Ruth

Wow.

I was given a study on the Book of Ruth from my cousin, Rebekah, shortly after we moved to Miami. It was written by her friend, Kelly Minter, and it impacted her. She thought I would enjoy it, and boy was she right! Thanks Beks for sending it to me.

It's a 6 week study on Ruth, and it took me much longer to finish, but today I finished. Gracie has been sick- I put her down on my bed for a nap, and cuddled up with her for what I thought was going to be 30 minutes of distraction free time with Jesus. She has been asleep for more than 2.5 hours, so I was able to finish the study today. (Thanks, Gracie girl :)

I have read Ruth countless times and to be honest, was never really impressed with her story. I thought it was kind of boring actually. I much prefer Tamar or Rahab's! Ruth was a good girl who followed her mother in law to a foreign land. Rahab was a prostitute!

What I learned about Ruth in the last few months has changed my thinking. It's changed my view on being found faithful. Obedient.

She was an amazing woman, and I can't wait to sit at her feet in heaven to hear her tell the story as she see's it. What was she experiencing in her heart while she waited to find out if she would be taken by Boaz to be his wife?

What I think I loved most about the story of Ruth is the ending. When it gets to the part where it tells you about the son she and Boaz had together- Obed. Then you read about the genealogy of Obed. He was the father of Jesse, that father of David, David was the father of Solomon, who's mother had been Uriah's wife. You continue on in Matthew 1 to Jacob, the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called The Christ.

Do you see the significance is Ruth's life? Do you see what would have been missed if she did as Naomi had instructed and went back? Ruth's decision could have impacted and changed the genealogy of Jesus.

Are you like me? Do you wonder what is hanging in the balance? Do you wonder what could be and should be, if you are just obedient to walk it out? God has a will for your life, and mine. It's up to us on how quickly we get there, and the journey that we set out on.

Obedience. Trust. Faithfulness. That's all He asks of me. It's all He asks of you too. We see a pin size portion of the big picture.

If God created Ruth for a purpose, He created me for one too. If I am faithful, obediant and trust him, who will be in my geneology a few generations from now? Who will benefit from my obediance?
It's just called a Legacy. You always leave one. Is it one of Trust, Obedience and Faithfulness? What would change in your life now?

Just my thoughts on Ruth.

No comments:

Post a Comment