Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sleepless nights

She is still for the moment, but that won't last long. She doesn't feel good, is uncomfortable and feverish. She fights to keep her paci in her mouth while still trying to breathe. It is a pitiful sight indeed.

Out of the blue this sickness struck. No signs of it. No warning when she went to bed last night that when she woke this morning, things would be different. Her nose like a faucet, her mood clingy, her eyes like a sad puppy. My girl doesn't feel good, and it hurts this momma's heart.

The humidifier is blowing moist air while I sit rubbing her head, praying for healing, comfort and quick recovery, I am thankful.

Thankful that it is just this. Just a cold. Just a runny nose. Just a low grade fever.

There are many that have gone before me that would have done anything to have a sick baby. To have this baby that just has a cold. I can't help but think of the mom's who hold an even sicker child as chemo is pumped into their small, fragile bodies. The mom who rubs her head while the hair continues to fall out. While the breathing machine isn't ever going to be turned off on this side of heaven unlike the humidifier in the morning.

While I beg for Him to take her cold away, they beg for the day when their prayer was that simple. A cold.

Perspective.

It doesn't make it easier, but it makes me thankful. Don't take for granted what you have, for some day, it may be gone.

It may be a long night of wiping her nose, checking her fever and administering Tylenol, but at least we're at home and not in a hospital. At least it's Tylenol and not chemo, and at least we're checking fevers and not pulses.

Thank you Lord for the health of my sweet Gracie girl. I do not take it lightly. She is yours Lord, but I am so glad you gave her to me to mother for this time.

1 comment:

  1. Colds are a blessing in a world so demolished by diseases without answers. God has his plan for each of the little angels he places in this world. Mine had a plan that included cancer, yours, a humidifier. Neither hurts any more or less, but grants us the grace to feel, remember and to honor every minute we can be mothers. God bless you and Gracie. I love you ~Liz

    ReplyDelete